Saturday, January 9, 2010

Gospel Moments...

I've been starting to watch for something I have dubbed a Gospel Moment. This is where something I see in real life causes me to understand the gospel in a more real way. This is very real to me as a pastor because I get to see people struggle with all their real-life problems as they try to understand the gospel themselves.

One of these Gospel Moments came for me as I was preparing a message for our teenagers. I was thinking about being a parent. I was thinking about a particular family in our church, and how the parents in this family had given up their dreams for their children. I realized that is what parents do. They give up their dreams. Or maybe better said, their children become their dreams.

In the gospel we see that God, in the person of Jesus, sacrificed his own life to receive the punishment for our sins. Because he gave, we can be forgiven by simply trusting in Jesus (much more on that later). Like our parents, God didn't give up his dreams to save us. We became the focus of his dreams. One day, the Bible tells us, God's dream for us will be fully realized when our resurrection in Christ becomes complete, and we will live eternally with him on a recreated earth.

Have you had a Gospel Moment lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment